August 18, 2022

How To Get A Green Card From USCIS

If you want to become a permanent resident of the United States, you will need to get a green card from the USCIS. With this type of Visa, you are allowed to live and work in the U. S. Permanently.

There are a number of different types of eligibility for permanent residency. In most cases, the person is sponsored by either a member of the family or an employer. It is also possible in some cases to get one as a refugee or through some type of humanitarian programs. In special circumstances, you may be able to get one on your own.

Green Card

The number of green cards that can be awarded to immediate relatives is not limited as they are in other categories. These relatives include parents of U. S. Citizens, spouses of U. S. Citizen and unmarried children below 21 years of age of U. S. Citizens. The U. S. Citizen must be 21 years of age to file an application for his or her parents.

Other family categories may need to wait for a Visa. These include, in order of preference: unmarried children of U. S. Citizens who are 21 years old or older, spouses and unmarried children under 21 of permanent residents, unmarried children who are 21 or over of permanent residents, married children of U. S. Citizens as well as their spouses and children under 21 and siblings of adult U. S. Citizens, as well as their spouses and children under 21.

In the case of green cards through employment, these are limited and will only be granted when there is a visa available. These are also awarded in order of preference. These categories are, in that order: priority workers which include outstanding professors, researchers or other aliens with extraordinary abilities as well as certain executives and managers; professionals who hold an advanced degree or persons of some type of ability that’s exceptional; skilled workers or other types of professionals; special immigrants such as religious workers; and immigrants who will create employment such as investors or entrepreneurs.

Refugees, as well as spouses or children of refugees who qualify, are required to make a permanent resident application one year after being admitted under that status. Those immigrants who were granted asylum, along with their spouses or children who qualify, are eligible to apply for permanent resident status after one year but not required to do so.

There are other special programs that may apply. As these qualifications are quite extensive, you will need to check with the USCIS to find out if your situation falls under any of them.

Most people will need to file an immigrant petition form. Which one will depend on the category under which you are applying. In some cases, concurrent applications can be made. If you are in a category other than that of immediate relative, there will need to be a visa available for you and you must first have a visa number. Availability is determined by such things as the date you file, the category you are applying under and the country from which you are emigrating.

There are some reasons why a person may not be considered eligible for permanent residency. For example, if there is some reason he or she is considered to be a health or security risk. There is a waiver form that can be filed if an immigrant is found to be inadmissible.

All the information necessary regarding eligibility and how to apply for a green card can be found through the USCIS. As changes may be made at any time, it’s always a good idea to check with them as to any latest developments.

Find more information,visit